How do I get my documents certified?

This can be completed by a person who is authorised to certify copies of original documents.

How do I get my copies of documents certified?

  1. Make a copy of the original document.

  2. Take the original document and the copy to the certifier.

  3. They will check your copy is the same as the original.

  4. On a single-page document, the certifier must write or stamp, ‘This is a certified true copy of the original as sighted by me’.

  5. On documents with multiple pages, the certifier must write or stamp only on the first page ‘I certify this and the following [number of pages] pages to be a true copy of the original as sighted by me’ and initial all other pages.

  6. The certifier must also write or stamp on the copy:

  • their signature

  • their full name

  • their occupation

  • their membership registration number, as applicable (optional)

  • their phone number

  • the date

  • their address (optional)

Who can certify my documents?

A person currently licensed or registered to practice in Australia as one of the following occupations can certify documents:

  • Architect

  • Chiropractor

  • Conveyancer

  • Dentist

  • Financial adviser or financial planner

  • Legal practitioner

  • Medical practitioner

  • Midwife

  • Migration agent

  • Nurse

  • Occupational therapist

  • Optometrist

  • Patent attorney

  • Pharmacist

  • Physiotherapist

  • Psychologist

  • Trade marks attorney

  • Veterinary surgeon

For a full list of people authorised to certify documents, please click here. Alternatively, refer to Section 39 of the Oaths and Affirmations Act 2018

If you are currently outside of Australia, documents can be certified by the following persons:

  1. A solicitor or barrister qualified in Australia and holding a current practicing certificate. This includes Migration Agents who are also solicitors or barristers qualified in Australia. 

  2. Officers of any other Australian bank or other Australian financial institution (bank, building society, or credit union) or Australian finance company with offices offshore where the officer has 2 or more years service with Australian financial institutions or Australian finance companies. 

  3. A judge, magistrate, registrar, or deputy registrar of an overseas court. 

  4. An Australian consular or diplomatic officer who holds one of the following positions: Consul-General, Consul, Vice-Consul, Trade Representative, Consular Agent, Ambassador, High Commissioner, Minister, Head of a Mission, Commissioner, Charge d'Affaires, Counsellor, Secretary or Attache at an Embassy, High Commissioner's office, Legation or similar.

  5. A member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, CPA Australia, or the National Institute of Accountants with 2 or more years of continuous membership.

Please note: The certifier must state that the photocopied document is a true copy of the original and must also include on this documentation their full name, signature, and qualification or occupation which makes them eligible.